Build a Falmouth Quay Punt
From Timber to Tide
Wooden Boat Building Course - September 2017A unique opportunity to learn the skills and techniques of traditional boat building , on the glorious south Cornwall coast.
Trainee places are still available.
- In September 2017 we will be starting to build a replica of Curlew, the fastest, finest and farthest travelled of all the Falmouth Quay punts, once complete she will serve as a charter boat and cargo carrying vessel.
- There will be places for trainees to be involved hands on with all the stages involved in constructing a carvel planked sailing boat. From lofting the lines and casting the ballast keel, to laying the keel, shaping the frames, planking, caulking, fairing and painting the hull, laying the decks,and shaping the mast and spars.
- During the build there will be opportunities to sail on Alva, our Falmouth Quay punt inspired yacht. The build will take 12 months and there will be full term placements for paying trainees. Skilled volunteers can stay for between 1 and 3 month spells.
- We are looking for hardworking people with drive, passion for boats, and the ability to work as a team. From our volunteers we expect woodwork and/or metalwork skills, a knowledge of boats would be a great addition.
- If you would like to get involved please send a description of why this project is appealing to you, what you have to offer and what you hope to gain, along with any questions you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates will be invited to an informal interview.
- Thanks for your interest. I really look forward to hearing from you.